A Look at Virtual Servers
A virtual server is one of the most commonly used solutions when it comes to web hosting. It allows you to run multiple websites and servers on a single machine. The hardware will be controlled by the host provider, but the the website owner will be in charge for the operating system and software.
Virtual server hosting
Virtual server hosting is a type of web hosting where software is used to emulate multiple servers that are located on one host. This treats each site as if it was on separate machine and allows for complete independence. Virtual hosting servers are the third most viable option apart from dedicated and shared hosting plans.
Virtual server environment
There are a number of things that you can expect from a virtual server environment. They are:
- Consolidating multiple action programs on single servers.
- Creating virtual servers which can automatically adjust capacity depending on changing requirements for every hosted application.
- Managing server farms without having negative impacts on performance.
- Utilizing server capacity and providing critical applications with extra resources during peak hours.
- Enabling virtual machines to be migrated in a streamlined fashion.
- Maintaining service levels in case of downtime and paying for any spare capacity whenever required.
Virtual server backup
Taking backups is very easy when it comes to virtual servers. In fact, you don’t have to worry about anything at all. Just leave it to the service provider. They will take regular backups of your virtual server which means that even if something does go wrong you can very easily recover all of your lost data. This is perhaps one of the biggest advantages of using virtual servers.
Virtual server software
Choosing the OS (Operating System) for your virtual server has become much more complicated today than it was some years ago. Even though Microsoft has been releasing one version after another of their Windows environment, there are many more Linux distributions available for private servers too now. Parameters like CPU, Memory and so on have been blurring lately because of advances in the Windows OS. But no matter which option you go with: you will be making a good choice for sure.
Virtual server advantages
There are tons of advantages to using virtual servers. Here’s a small list of the most important factors:
- High end: You will always be running on cutting edge server sharing tech which makes it possible for a single server to act as a number of separate virtually dedicated servers. This means every private server is going to come with all features of the physical server. Large memory, sufficient disk space, full customization, sufficient security, etc. are some noteworthy features.
- Tech edge: Excellent servers are rich in RAM. They give you quick responses and maximize drive performance. You won’t have to worry about Disk I/O problems either.
- Flexibility: A number of VPS services offer various operating system choices. This offers a lot of flexibility. It also comes with a variety of powerful control panels like Plesk, cPanel, Direct Admin, etc. Choose the one you are most comfortable with.
- Cost: The cost of these servers is much lesser than other servers. The accounts are less expensive as compared to hosting plans on dedicated physical servers.
- Segregation: This is another great advantage of virtual servers. It allows you to handle each server separately from the rest, even though they are on the same platform. The other servers aren’t affected directly by the activity or customization of other virtual servers.
- Performance: With all of the resources including RAM, CPU usage, and memory, the performance of virtual servers is higher. This is especially true as far as comparing them with shared servers is concerned. Virtualization works very well when it comes to small or medium sized sites.
- Security: Virtual servers offer quite a lot of security since all of the individual servers are separate. This means that every site gets resources of their own, and each operating system makes it much harder for others to invade as far as security is concerned.
- Customization: There is a lot of customization that is available when it comes to virtual servers. They can all be customized in order to meet the individual needs of users. This means you will just have to pay for features which you need the most while not having to spend a single penny on things you don’t need.
- Scalable: All of the hosting plans under virtual servers are scalable. This means that you will be at liberty to start with a lower resource plan and then upgrade, depending on just what you need. You then will be able to increase the plans as you continue to grow in order to accommodate your changing requirements. This will save growing businesses from acquiring excessive resources which they might not need at the beginning.
- Control: You get a greater sense of control with virtual servers. This is something you don’t get as far as shared hosting was concerned. You could gain access and can even have the ability to enjoy scripts which may not be possible as far as shared webhosting is concerned.
- Management: If you don’t want to spend time managing your hosting, you could go for semi-managed hosting where the service provider takes care of all maintenance tasks on your behalf. Now isn’t that great?
Lastly, when you are running on virtual servers, you will never have to worry about downtime. All good virtual server providers offer 100% uptime.